Utilizing Veterinary Technicians for Telemedicine Rechecks
Veterinary technicians are a highly skilled asset to any hospital or clinic setting. Their education and expertise can be utilized in many ways through tele-triage, virtual rechecks, and tele-communication with clients. These communications can occur through live video or asynchronous chat. New wearable devices for dogs and cats can also aid in tele-recheck appointments. Emerging technology is discovering ways to measure pet temperature, pulse, respiration, activity, and even eating and drinking patterns.
- The technician to assess incision health and healing, overall patient wellbeing
- Evaluate incision for signs of infection, delayed healing, excess bleeding, discharge
- Musculoskeletal and lameness
- Has the lameness improved?
- Is the client compliant with treatment?
- Is the patient’s pain being managed?
- Have the lesions improved, stayed the same, or worsened?
- Is the patient more comfortable, less itchy?
- Has the vomiting/diarrhea improved?
- Any appetite changes?
- Is the patient drinking appropriately?
- Is the patient taking medications well?
- Has the energy level changed?
- Any improvement of symptoms, or no change, or worsened?
- Any improvement of symptoms, no change, or worsened?
- Client compliance- are recommended exercises being performed properly?
- Assess the overall disposition of the pet
- How is the color of the urine?
- Is there improvement in frequency of urination?
- Any straining to urinate, licking of genitals, or other symptoms?
- Reproductive (Post-birth)
- How is the mother?
- Lactating, eating, drinking, lochia
- Are neonates nursing appropriately?
- Is the umbilicus appearance normal?
- How is the mother?
Patient pictures, videos, and info from wearable devices can be imported at the technician tele-recheck appointment. Once the technician has collected information about the patient, they may decide that no veterinary care is needed further (like for simple spay/neuter rechecks with no concerns) or this information can be relayed to the veterinarian for potential diagnosis, treatment modification, and further recheck appointments or more intensive care.
Speciality veterinary practices can also benefit from virtual technician rechecks. Oncology, dermatology, internal medicine, surgery, cardiology, and behavior veterinary specialties can utilize their skilled vet technicians to track patient progress, answer pet parent questions, and provide valuable client and patient information to the veterinarian to ensure high quality patient care.
Connect with a telehealth expert
Dr. Jess Trimble
Dr. Trimble is the Chief Veterinary Officer at Anipanion. She looks forward to working closely with you and your team to craft the appropriate telehealth plan to ensure you deliver a seamless virtual care experience.
Anipanion is a secure, telehealth platform that helps veterinary teams optimize workflows through powerful communication tools like chat, video, auto-replies, short cuts, and much more.
Anipanion provides you with flyers, email templates, voicemail and auto email reply scripts as well as a custom landing page to help promote the service to your clients.
Anipanion has a world-class support and training team that can always be reached out to via chat, phone or email. Our average response time is 10 minutes or less.
Schedule a demo with one of our telehealth experts so we can learn more about your practice operations and help you provide the best health outcomes for your clients and patients.